History of Cloonacool
Cloonacool (Irish: Cluain na Cúile, meaning 'The Meadow at the Back') is a village in County Sligo, Ireland. Cloonacool sits at the foot
of the Ox mountains, and this is where the name at the back comes from. The Mad river runs close to the village before it links up with the
Moy river also running close to the village.
Cloonacool was first affiliated as a club with the county board in 1916 by Jack Brennan. Numbers in some years were scarce which resulted in locals joined Tubbercurry teams at various levels achieving a large degree of success.
In 1978 the club was reformed under the leadership of the enthusiastic and dedicated locals and the club hasn't looked back since. The highlight of our gradually assent into club football was in 1997 when our
intermediate team captured the county title for the first time. Below is a link to some extracts from the millennium magazine, which was produced by Austin McTiernan.